Saturday, August 29, 2009

FYI... I'm at my home for the next year

This morning, I moved into my new home. Like you all know, I am now an au pair. I met the family and they seem very nice. The mother and father, Sophie and Emmanuel, are very kind. The children are adorable and they have already warmed up to me in the four hours since I arrived. They sang "Itsy, Bitsy, Spider" to me when I arrived and they loved it when I sang along with them. 

I am very glad that I am living with a French family. I think this is the best way for me to learn the language and culture. The children know a few words in English, but they speak almost exclusively French with me. It can be confusing when there are three little French voices talking to you, but I am figuring it out. I know I will learn the language very fast here. The parents know some English, which is nice when I do not understand, but they know less than I thought. 

I am already venturing into the world of different, sometimes a bit scary, food. Some people know that I tend to be pretty picky with food, especially meat, but I have decided to try it all. When in France... Right? Anyway, for lunch today, Sophie prepared Caspacio. I'm not exactly sure what it was, but it looked like a thin slice of raw beef with some light dressing, lettuce, avocado, cheese, and mushrooms sprinkled over the top. Honestly, it was delicious.

My room is nice. It is the only bedroom downstairs. I have a comfy bed, lots of shelves for my stuff, a little cafe table and chairs, and a wall of windows. So far, so good! The children just went down for a nap, so I have a little quiet time to relax and get organized. 

No comments: