Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Post-Hiatus Post

Hello all. I'm back from my unintentional blogging hiatus. Hopefully that doesn't happen again, at least while I'm in France. So yes, I'm back in France, and happy to be here. I arrived last Thursday and have been somewhat busy ever since. However the last two days have been a nice reprieve, as I've been able to be lazy, clean, organize and stock up on groceries. Believe it or not, Olivier is actually a pretty organized guy. He de-clutters every now and then, and does household chores like the laundry and the dishes. However, two months of living like a bachelor while I'm stateside leave the apartment in need of a general all-around cleaning. I like getting all of my stuff cleaned and organized, so having the last few days free to do just that left me surprisingly content. 

I spent my first full day back in France in Beausoleil (just behind Monaco) taking care of Baby Charlotte. I've talked about her before. I took care of her for seven weeks back in February and March while her nanny recovered from an operation. I get to watch her on Thursday and Friday of this week too. She was so perfect, happy, and darn cute with her head-full of curls. I think she might even still remember me because she was smiling with me right away like she did. There was no crying when her parents left or anything. Anyway, we had fun going on walks, babbling to each other, and skyping with my mom. She really likes "the lady in the box," and kept looking for her after we finished the call. So adorable. 

We left for Antibes on Friday to spend the weekend with Olivier's family. All of his siblings were there and we had a great time just hanging out. We ate a lot of great food, drank plenty of delicious drinks, laid by the pool and sat around talking. It was really nice. I enjoyed watching Olivier and his siblings play in the pool like I'm sure they did as kids. Okay, "play" may not be the right word...maybe "dunk each other under water and throw each other in" describes it better. Haha. 

I have a few more weeks of down-time before I start teaching. I have days of orientation, observation and meetings during the first week of October and then I start my teaching assistantship. It's not full-time, but it's a start. I am hoping to tutor students and maybe babysit a little as well to make some extra money. I'm really looking forward to starting my job. My coordinating teacher seems very nice and accommodating, and I am looking forward to meeting him. 

As far as an excuse goes for why I haven't blogged all summer...well, take your pick: "A lot happened and I was too busy to blog" or "I could have blogged, but I didn't." The latter is more correct, but they both have some truth to them. Here's a very quick recap. 

We went to Olivier's brother's wedding in Italy. It was FANTASTIC! Everything was beautiful, elegant, classy, fun and delicious. It was like no wedding I've ever attended. The Italians know how to have a good time. They even do funny skits!

In mid-July I came home to the US. After a few days of unpacking and getting back into the swing of things, we went camping in Elk Rapids, MI for the annual Brugger Family Reunion. As always, we had a blast. Hopefully I'll be able to make it next year. I might just be able to. I was planning on coming home in August, but now I'm thinking July. I won't know for quite a while still. After that I worked for a week at Hermann's in Cadillac as a server (they let me work my old job for a few weeks here and there while I was home!) and had fun with all of the staff. I miss 'em! 

Then Olivier came to the US for the second time. Luckily his trip last summer didn't scare him off. We enjoyed Lake Michigan, went to Mackinaw Island, went camping in Interlochen and tubed down the Platte River, took a road trip to Toronto, Niagara Falls, and Cedar Point, and spend a few nights with family members. It flew by, of course. He saw all of the Great Lakes except for Lake Superior. I'm thinking a road trip to the U.P. next time he comes... 

After Olivier left I had another weekend of camping, this time with the Porter family in South Haven. It was wonderful. We celebrated my mom's aunt's 80th birthday and sung around the campfire. I worked a few more weeks at Hermann's and then ended my stay by spending a few days in New Buffalo, MI with Lauren, Karen and my mom in an awesome condo just a few blocks from Lake Michigan. It was a perfect end to a great Michigan stay, including sun, a pool, bloody marys, great food, wonderful people, cards, and laughs. 

That's all for now, folks! Until next time. A bientot!

No comments: