Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Awaiting Africa

In less than a week, five days to be exact, I will depart for Morocco. I will be going with Crystal and another American au pair named Sarah, and we will be staying for five days. 

I really do not know how this all came about. Basically, Crystal and I both have the same week off and we thought we needed to do something fun together. Looking through the airline prices helped us decide our destination. Africa. I've always wanted to go, so why not now? I know Morocco is in the northern tip of Africa and I'm not venturing into the tribal lands that lie further south, but hey, it's still Africa. We will be flying into Marrakech where we will stay for most of our trip. While there we plan on seeing snake-charmers, bartering for goods, eating lots of couscous, riding on camels, taking a city tour, and basically just checking out the history and culture. Then we plan on taking an overnight train to Tangier and checking out the Straight of Gibraltar before we fly back to Paris. 

We found a great hostel in Marrakech for only 13 euro a night. Lucky for us, Marrakech looks like it will be pretty cheap, especially compared to Paris. All of the hostels there were around this price, and this one looked like it would be the best for us. It is right in the city center, so we can basically just walk to get where we need to go. The hostel was even rated the number one hostel in Marrakech for 2008 and has great reviews. So, no worries. We plan on having a great trip. It will be nice to get out of Paris for a few days. I'll blog when I get back with pictures and stories. 

No comments: