Friday, September 4, 2009

Back to Paris

I have yet to leave Paris since my arrival a few weeks ago, but it feels like I have returned. After a few days with the kids, hardly leaving the neighborhood, I felt like Paris was waiting for me, or rather I longed for it. 

Thursday was my first day of freedom from the kids. They started school and I got to leave and be all by myself for a while. I did not do any charming little walks or anything, but I enjoyed my time away. First of all, I had to take a placement test. I am going to take a French class while I am here, so of course, the school needed to figure out my level. I took it, it went well, whatever. I'm right where I left off last summer, so that's good. I'm surprised I remembered some of the stuff I did since I have not studied French at all in such a long time, except for tutoring once a week. For any of you who know Paris, my school is in the 8th arrondissement, which is pretty cool... near Arc de Triomphe. However, my classes will be in a different building than normal because of remodeling or something, so I'll be right by the Opera Garnier (think Phantom of the Opera). I love that building. It is so amazing. If you ever get the chance to go there, do it. It is breathtakingly beautiful on the inside... right out of a fairy-tale. I walked around and just thought about how lucky I felt to be living in Paris. It is still sort of hard to believe that it is real. I have wanted it for so long. I dreamed about living here since I first visited eight years ago. It is magical to me. Sure, some days are not perfect, but I am here and I am happy about that. 

Today I ventured out again. I met up with Crystal and basically just walked around and talked. I would be happy doing nothing but talking and drinking coffee with friends in my spare time. Paris is a great atmosphere for that. Who am I kidding? I love doing that everywhere. Did someone say coffee?!! 

Tomorrow cannot come soon enough. Well, yes it can. I'm tired and need to sleep first, but I am really looking forward to it. It is the weekend and I have two days off! My friend Matthieu invited me to come to a little get-together tomorrow night. He is the boyfriend of my former roommate Maddie. She lived with me last summer and will be in town this weekend. Crystal and I are going to join them, hang out, and then go out. I don't know where, but I really don't care. I'm sure we'll have a great time. Then Crystal and I are going to an event on Sunday. Couchsurfing.org is a networking thing where you can meet people that are traveling in your area and hang out. We are going to hang out with people we have never met. Perhaps there will be some fun people there. At least we'll be there together if it's a bust. I'm looking forward to it... actually just to getting out and not having to clean or watch kids for a few days. Hopefully I'll have some fun pictures to post later from the weekend. 

Until then, a bientot!

No comments: