Monday, September 28, 2009

Weekend Adventures

It is now Monday and for some reason (I think it has something to do with a Jewish holiday) I have the day off!  A three-day weekend.  How I love the little things in life.  Since I have been slacking, I figured it would be the perfect time to write a blog about the weekend.  After all, weekends are usually my only source of inspiration. I guess my weekend started Friday afternoon.  I stayed home all Friday with a sick 2-year-old.  However the grandmother arrived around 4:00, and after I went to pick the girls up from school, I was finished.  I got all ready to go out and joined friends for another fabulous time at Rosa Bonheur, my usual Friday night hangout.  Unfortunately Crystal had to work until 9:30, so she could not come.  I had fun anyway.  It was Sylvain's little send-off since he left for New York City today.  He will be doing research there for the next three months.  

Saturday was a very fun day.  Crystal and I met for lunch with no plans for the day.  This is normal for us.  After all, we do tend to just be wanderers.  After we finally found an open boulangerie for a baguette, we ate lunch on the steps of Musee d'Orsay.  This happens to be probably my favorite museum in Paris with all of its fabulous Monets and VanGoghs.  We decided to spend the afternoon in Bois de Boulogne, a park with lakes and paths right outside of the city.  To our surprise, there was a carnival set up and we couldn't help ourselves...we had to partake in the fun, especially after we saw this...


We only went on the swings.  After all, these rides were sort of expensive!


Then we went to the Bois de Boulogne.  It was a perfect day filled with sunshine, warm weather, and families in canoes. 


Sunday was also very fun and started with no plans.  We started the afternoon with bread from our new favorite Boulangerie.  It was the best bread I have ever had and the name of the place is Eric Kayser.  We looked it up and found out there is one right by my Metro stop!  We ate our lunch on the terrace while we enjoyed the perfect view of Paris.  


We then decided to go to Jardin des Plantes, which is a huge garden with lots of plants, flowers, and museums. We decided to check out the inside of Saint-Etienne du Mont on the way since it was open.  Beautiful!



I will bring my mom to Jardin des Plantes because I know she will love it.  Walking around looking at all of the different kinds of flowers reminded me of my grandmother because I remember walking through her garden and in the woods with her and learning the names of the flowers.  She would have loved it.  I wonder if she went there when she visited Paris years ago.  

Later we decided to relax on the lawns at the Louvre, where we met some nice French guys who wanted to take our picture.  It was pretty funny.  Now they are our facebook friends.  Overall, I would say we had a very nice weekend.  It was just what I needed after a stressful week. 



No comments: